Wednesday, April 18, 2012

If You're Sexy And You Know It....

put your hands up in the air.

Or as Chris Brown sings it: put your handz up inda air.

Or maybe Pitbull (oh how his mother must just love hearing her boy being called that) advising: If you're sexy and you know it, clap your hands.

Akon must have liked it because he used the exact same line in one of his songs: If you're sexy and you know it, clap your hands

Or perhaps Jesse McCartney when he sang: you're sexy and you know it, know it.

And I can't leave out LMAO's: I'm sexy and I know it ....................................
(you know - going from second person singular to first person singular -  just to spice it up y'all)

As well as whoever else has decided recently that this line rocks and included it in their pop ballad because I'm sure I've missed a few.  Whatever.  I wanted to thank all of you.  Because now I can sashay into any nightclub, whisper a request in my friendly DJ's ear and instantly know who the sexy people are.

The ones with their hands up.

Obviously.

But what makes sexy?  I'm not sure if Mr Brown urged me to put my hands up if I knew I was sexy I would actually feel comfortable doing that.  Well not Mr Brown personally, because like I wouldn't even let him buy me a drink.  But that's not the point.  The point is: how do you know when you are sexy?  What's the criteria?

Is it:
a) someone (not drunk or under the influence of any substance that would impair their eyesight) has in the recent, or not so recent, past called you sexy?
b) when you look in the mirror the only adjective that could possible work is: sexy? 
c) you physically resemble a well-known, media certified sexy person ie you look like Megan Gale?
d) you are Megan Gale? or
e) you have that 'it' factor thing going on?

I like that old adage: Beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder beholder.  And I kinda think that sexy falls into the same category.  You know, each to their own.  Personally, I find hairy men sexy as hell.  Not the scary kind of hairy like this:
That's just not right.

No I mean the sexy kind of hairy, like this:



















And may I jsut add a few other names to the list:
  • Ryan Reynolds
  • Hugh Jackman
  • Jude Law
  • Armie Hammer
But I know not every woman shares my opinion (otherwise we wouldn't have seen a spate of gloriously hairy men shaving their chests......Reminder to self: google 'celebrity chest shaver' as a career).

So, if sexy is subjective, how do you write a sexy character that will appeal to a majority of readers?  Or is it enough to ensure that your character is found sexy by their patnering protagonist?

Whatever the answer, maybe next time I'm gettin' down with my bad self at 'the club' and Mr Brown encouarages the sexy people to reach for the sky - maybe I'll hedge my bets and just put one hand up.

1 comment:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Gosh, that first chap looks like he's wearing a jumper.

X