Monday, April 9, 2012

Adaptations - Part I

With all the hoopla about The Hunger Games on just about everyone's blogs at the moment, I got to thinking about other books that had been adapted into films.

There are two camps: those who like adaptations and those who do not (and of course to make things even more confusing, those who do not do so because they either a) prefer the book or b) prefer the film).  Me?  I'm a take it as it comes sorta gal.  I've seen some film adaptations that left me feeling flat, some that made me want to go back and read the book again, and still others that made me promise myself I would always watch the film and not bother with the book again.

Want a great ice breaker/conversation starter?  Try these: "The original Star Wars films were much better than the second lot."  Not a science fiction fan?  Rouse a romance aficionado's passions by stating: "Keira Knightley was by far a much better Elizabeth Bennett than Jennifer Ehle."  Or you could try: "The Lord of the Rings films were much better than the books."  I'm sure you can think of many other book to film adaptations or even stage to screen adaptations that stir up vehement responses from friends or family.

But what I wonder is this: what about the films that were written first as a screenplay?  Does anyone know of films that have been adapted into books?  I know a few films that I would love to read as a book.  Amelie being the first that leaps to mind.  Or Sleepless In Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, Mrs Brown, As Good As It Gets, The Sixth Sense, Gosford Park, Pan's Labyrinth, even Knotting Hill - I'd be happy to sit down with a paperback copy of any of them.  But has it ever been done?  I found some evidence of TV series becoming novels but none of movies.

So what original screenplay would you like to transform into the written word?

No comments: