Friday, November 19, 2010

Well Worth a Read Wednesday*

* For the purposes of this post, the part of Wednesday will be played by Friday.

After wandering in the wilderness of Procrastinacia and fighting off attacks of the native black crows, like any heroine worth her weight in Godiva chocolate, I struggled and resisted and finally......I won.  Well at least I've found a way to move forward which in my books is just as good as winning!

I know you're all wondering......"Ooo what did she find?" and the answer, my little truffles, is: *cue fanfare* Plotting.  Now please control your disappointment.  I know you were all expecting some magical spell, or artefact that once uttered or waved over a manuscript would instantly correct mistakes, tighten up storylines, polish lacklustre character motivations, banish imposing secondary characters and add that certain je ne sais quoi to your work but no can do.  It's like in Fame where Lydia Grant says:

"You've got big dreams?  You want fame?  Well, fame costs.  And right here is where you start paying....in sweat!"  (love that line!)

Anyway, enough of my rambling.  For those of us who are not pantsers (found that out the hard way) here is an excellent article (with examples *claps hands like a three year old*) for your edification.

2 comments:

Joanna St. James said...

I so wish i could plot, it looks cool to those of us on the other side of the fence.

Nas said...

I tried posting earlier but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, thanks for the link, great advice.