Friday, January 11, 2013

A New Year Of Committment

Well I told you I'd be back - I just didn't think it would take so long!

But life has a way of just throwing everything she has at you at the same time.  Who knew that Christmas happened at the same time EVERY year?!  In my looooong list of priorities, it was unfortunate that writing came in behind buying groceries, buying presents, turning groceries into food for LOTS of people, wrapping those presents and then turning up to pre- during- and post-Christmas gatherings and the less than pleasant task of cleaning up.

Fast forward to now and I have just managed to start writing again......

except.....

it's a different manuscript.

I know, I know.  I should be finishing the category romance manuscript seeings it's so close to being able to write The End but this other manuscript is my other love - Jane Austen.  It's not fan fiction because it's not about any of Jane's characters but Jane herself does get quite a few mentions.

If you haven't been watching them already - set yourself aside a few days - and start watching The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.  I say a few days - you could probably watch all the vlog episodes in a few hours but they're so addictive and you get so caught up in them and the actors are so good that you will have to watch most of them more than once.  And you HAVE to read the comments.  The vlog is a modern adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and it's brilliant.  I have to admit that it has shocked me that some people haven't read P&P but their comments are delicious in their ignorance of what's coming up next.  And even the people who are familiar with the plot are getting all squeally with excitement.

Which has made me realise just how important characters are.  I know Pride and Prejudic quite well.  I've read it many, many, many times.  I know the plot.  I know the characters.  Despite all of this, because of how the writers for this vlog have crafted the characters, I'm on the edge of my seat, twice a week waiting for the next episode.  I can't wait to see what happens next, even though I already know what's going to happen.

That's good writing.

I want to write like that.  It's the electronic version of a real page turner and it makes my insides all quivery just thinking about it.

Now let's talk about Commitment.  You'll note I've spelled it with a capital C.  That's because it's my word for the year.  I'm Committing to things this year and one of them is this blog.  I received quite a little shock when I realised that I've had this blog for two and a half years now and I really haven't had a blogging schedule to speak of, so this year, this is it.  I'm Committing to two posts a week.  I'm going to try new things like giveaways and competitions and stuff like that - try and get my readership up a little so when (not if - because I'm Committed) I'm published, I'll have a few lovely people on my side who might, if I beg nicely enough, buy my book.

I'm Committing to writing every day.  I'm Committed to submitting.  And because my single title isn't being submitted to a publishing house that accepts unsolicited manuscripts, I guess I had better Commit to finding an agent too. 

But before all of that -  I need to Commit to finishing the book.  Well books actually.  Welcome to my journey. 

By the end of the year, I may need to be Committed

1 comment:

Lacey Devlin said...

Happy New Year, Elissa! May it be a great one for you. It sounds like it will be :)