Friday, July 6, 2012

So You Think You Can Write

I first started entering category romance competitions in 2009 (gah it seems so long ago but when you write it down it's like nothing!) with the I Heart Presents Competition.

Which then morphed into the New Voices Comp in 2010 and 2011.

To save you from scrolling through my archives: I didn't do so well.

Harlequin has another competition called So You Think You Can Write.  I believe it started in 2010.  I'm a little hazy on the rules for the last two years competition (mainly because I can't locate them anywhere on the net?) and this year's competition rules have yet to be posted so I can't comment on them either.  But here's what I do know:
  • For this year's comp, you need to have a completed manuscript
  • It starts in September this year (as opposed to Nov in the last two years) which is when New Voices started in 2011 and 2010
  • To enter you need to submit a first chapter and a 100 word pitch.
  • There will be an online vote (similar to New Voices) and 25 writers will be selected 
  • There will be an additional 3 wildcard entries selected by Harlequin
  • Those 28 writers will then need to submit their completed manuscripts
  • 3 Finalists will be chosen by Harlequin and another online vote will be held and a winner announced
Here's what else I know:
  • SERIOUSLY doubt I will be entering.
Why?  Because I doubt I will have a manuscript edited to the point where I would be happy to enter it into a competition of this scale.  Last year New Voices had 1084 entries of first chapters and I know lots of those who entered had only written that first chapter - waiting to see if they got anywhere before committing the time and energy to writing more of what could possibly be, a lost cause.  I took my sweet time in writing and then polishing to the point of wearing out a polishing rag and using a whole tin of Writer's Polish before I submitted to NV.  Not that it did me any good anyway.  But I'm not sure I have enough time to do the same for SYTYCW.

I will, however, be (hopefully) taking part in as many of the online conference events as I can.  These are immensely valuable and what's not to love about a conference you can attend in your pjs?

So in honor of the upcoming event and because I haven't treated y'all to a shoe experience in a LOOOO-OOOOONG while, here is what I will be sporting to the conference:


I'm too tall to do cute so I have to opt for stylish and Ugg boots just don't make the cut.  The rest of me might look like hell but my shoes will be heavenly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable shoes, Elissa! Good luck, if you do decide to got for SYTYCW!

I'm not sure I'll enter, either. I'm having fun with novellas, andtThe full length romance I'd really want to work on is a total rewrite of a story that Harlequin already rejected. Only the names, the setting, and their past history remain the same, the present day conflict is completely different, but technically it's ineligible.

I'm hoping to sub that story (first of a series) to Entangled instead.